Tuesday, July 17, 2007

The Unfailing Love has Vanished

There are times when I want to write about something, but it's best not to. Today is one of those days. Perhaps in the future when I've calmed my thoughts down will I consider writing what is really on my mind.
With that bit of intrigue, here's what else I've been thinking about today. I love talking about God's love. Read the descriptions of the Bible writers and they can't get enough. It's overflowing, it's wide, deep, long, and wide, it's poured out, etc.
But what's it like when you don't feel God's love? When He seems so far away or absent? I think of Job in his misery. Even Jesus asks why God has forsaken Him. I came across an interesting scripture the other day that may give us a clue into this. What does it feel like to be without God's love?

Will the Lord reject forever?
Will he never show his favor again?
Has his unfailing love vanished forever?
Has his promise failed for all time? Psalm 77:7, 8


"Unfailing" is how many describe God's love. I would think that unfailing would be never-ending, eternal, constant, consistent. Don't miss the contrast. Is the unfailing love gone forever? Has his promise (something He will never renege on, again, constant, consistent) failed?
When one feels as if God's love is absent, even the consistent becomes inconsistent. The norm becomes the rare and the only thing that is constant is the lack of constancy.
I imagine there are a lot of people who feel this way. Your job today, should you decide to accept it, is to let people know how much God loves them. Even though the psalmist said the unfailing love was gone and the promise failed, it didn't. If that's the way you feel, oh friend, please rest assured that God's love indeed never fails. His mercies never come to an end and they are new every morning. God's love is steadfast and sure. And when all else fails, you can know that God's love will be the one constant in your life. Have a great day. JW

P.S. There! I feel better. I shouldn't have been thinking about that old nasty negative stuff in the first place.

1 comment:

jackie chesnutt said...

Good stuff, Jim. Thanks for the reminder of His amazing love. I love you.