Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Take My Life

I have been extremely blessed in my life. It was my pleasure (yes, it was a pleasure) to attend a Christian high school. I had godly teachers and have wonderful friends as a result. At my baccalaureate services, we sang several hymns. I happened to lead "Take My Life, O Father, Mold It." It's number 502 in the blue Great Songs of the Church book. This morning, as I walked out of Starbucks, that song came to mind. Why? I don't know; perhaps the Spirit thought it was time I revisited the song.

Take my life, O Father, mold it in obedience to Thy will;
And as rip'ning years unfold it, keep it true and child-like still.

Father keep it pure and lowly, strong and brave, yet free from strife,
Turning from the paths unholy of a vain or sinful life.

Ever light Thy might surround it; strengthen it with pow'r divine,
Till Thy cords of love have bound it, Father, wholly unto Thine.


When I was 18 years old, those words rang true. Looking back on the 35 years since, I wondered about if I have heeded those words. Have I continued to be child-like? Not in maturity, but in dependence and trust and simple faith. Have I been pure? Has my life been vain or sinful? I have to admit, at times it has. But God has continued to be faithful. He has surrounded me with his power and love and He has truly bound His cords of love around me. How truly blessed I am! Have a great day. JW

1 comment:

preacherman said...

Great post.
I recently have experience a change in my faith. A change in my health and near death in ICU for a few weeks, seeing deaths door does that to you, a man I guess. It did for me. I have come to understand that what really matters is our relationship that we have with God. In the relationship with God is going to grow deeper than it was when we first knew about Him. When we first become a Christian. I understand know that their is a differance in knowing about God and knowing God. I understand Pauls words I want to KNOW Christ and the power of His rising. I hope as a minister that I may help other people understand that is what Christianity is all about is having that relationship with God. Self-sacrifice. Surrender. Intamicy. All consuming. Understaning that worship is about Him. Life is about Him. Our purpose in life is to share with others the hope they can have with Him. I my prayer is that he will take everyone's life in the Church and mold it and shape it into what he wants it to be. That they will be open to that.
Jim thanks for sharing this post. I know it has been an encouragement to me. I love reading your blog and sorry that I don't post very much. I want to let you know that your journey encourages. Keep it up! Run the race! Ignore the critics. And know that God is with you brother! God bless you and your ministry.
In Him,
Kinney Mabry