Monday, July 16, 2007

God is Running

I was indulging in one of latest pasttimes yesterday--bike riding--when I noticed something. There are always people riding or walking on the path. But I passed someone a little different. This guy was running and while he was running, he had his dog on a leash and was getting the dog some exercise. But wait, there's more. He also had (I presume it was his) a small child in one of those strollers for runners. The kid was sleeping away as the guy ran, exercised his dog, and put his kid down for a little nap time.
It got me thinking. I know it's a poor example, but humor my small mind. It reminded me of what God does, except on a much more huge scale. He keeps us going. He meets our needs. He allows us to take a nap. He takes care of everything while we go about our daily business. The psalmist said, "....he who watches over you will not sumber; indeed, he who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep."
Now can you imagine if the dog would have had these thoughts? "How far are we going to run? Do you think the baby will wake up? Will I get a drink at the end of this run?" Or maybe the baby was thinking, "This ride sure is bumpy. I'm hungry, right now! It's so hot out here. When are going to stop? (said in whiny tone)" Isn't that us? Complain even when God has everything in control?
I know I've put this quote in my blog before, but it bears repeating. "The goodness of God is that which disposes Him to be kind, cordial, benevolent, and full of good will toward men. He is tenderhearted and of quick sympathy, and His unfailing attitude toward all moral beings is open, frank, and friendly. By his nature He is inclined to bestow blessedness and He takes holy pleasure in the happiness of His people. The whole outlook of mankind might be changed if we could all believe that we dwell under a friendly sky and that the God of heaven, though exalted in power and majesty, is eager to be friends with us." A. W. Tozer
Friends, indeed. And in control. And caring. And not sleeping while I am. And.....Have a great day. JW

No comments: