Monday, October 01, 2007

Glorify God

I had an argument with a guy one time about honoring people at church. His argument was that we are not there to honor men, but to honor God. Everything we do should be to honor Him. My argument was, when my children are honored, I am honored. Now if my children are in it just for praise, then I agree. I'm not honored in such a situation. Likewise, if someone is doing something to be honored at church, then the Scripture says that they have received their reward.
Sorry for the personal note here, but it's been a good year for my son. Just last March I bragged on him for winning a solo competition at Disneyworld. Last weekend he was selected as Homecoming King. (They didn't have those kind of things when I was in high school!) He was selected by a vote of his peers and teachers. I felt that was quite an honor and my buttons are a little tighter on my shirt today. I've been trying to get people to call me King James. Wouldn't that be right as father of a king?
When we serve and honor God, isn't He honored too? When Jesus submitted to baptism, God said, "This is my son whom I love; with him I am well pleased." Wasn't God glorified in that event? I think so. So I'm encouraging all of us to do good things...not for personal glory, but for the glory of the One who made us. Jesus said, "...let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven." Have a great day. This little Christian light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine.... JW