Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Standing Beside Me

I just finished reading the book of Acts (again). I don't know how many times I've read it, but it gets better every time. I remember in junior high school having to learn Paul's missionary journeys in our Wednesday evening class. Then I had the privilege of having Dr. Jerry Jones for Acts class at Harding.
Something caught my eye this time. Paul has been arrested by the mob in Jerusalem in spite being warned by Agabus. There's a bounty on his head. He's in prison not knowing what's going to happen to him. The Roman commander was so afraid for Paul's life because the crowd wanted to tear him apart. Then in verse 11 of chapter 23 it says, "The following night the Lord stood near Paul and said, 'Take courage! As you have testified about me in Jerusalem, so you must also testify in Rome.'" The Lord stood near Paul. Then I remembered Stephen's stoning. He saw Jesus standing next to the throne of God. Later on in my reading this morning, Paul is on a ship that's about to sink in stormy waters. Paul tells the crew, "Last night an angel of the God whose I am and whom I serve stood beside me..."
How many times in our lives do we feel oppressed? Things are going from bad to worse and we're not sure what's going to happen. It's in those times that I believe the Lord stands beside us. He's ever present. He's always there. And He will not let us fall. Like with Paul, He'll be there right beside us. When we think He's far away, He isn't. When we feel abandoned, we aren't. And that brings me comfort. I hope it does you, too. Have a great day! JW

No comments: