Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Churches Die

Nate and I drove by it the first time. I turned around and we tromped up the hill and found it. It's the old Bedford church. It's where my Great-Great Grandfather White went to worship after he migrated to Ohio following the Civil War. It's mentioned in his obituary. There's nothing there now. Only some old tombstones, many in disrepair. An old tree has fallen separating the cemetery part from where the old church used to stand.
While visiting with my aunt, she showed me a little history of the Bedford church. It was found in a little booklet about another branch of my family (the Staneart's pronounced Stan-ert). I nearly wept as I read about what happened. It talked about the harmony of the church and how everyone got along. There were a lot of family members who attended together. But...it mentions a preacher who came and had a different teaching than one they were used to. It pitted brother against brother. The article went on to talk of the hatred that erupted through these arguments. So much so that another church was started. That new church was the one where my dad grew up. It's the church I remember so well in my youth. In fact, in front of Bearwallow is the stone step from the old Bedford church. My grandfather told me he wanted it put there. I took a picture of it the other day.
Last week as I drove by the "new" church, I realized that it was nearly dead. There's basically one family left with a few others. It made me sad to realize how good Satan is. Both churches are nearly gone.
In order for our churches to survive, we will have to fight. Fight for people. Fight against Satan and not against each other. Agree to disagree, but don't let hatred lead the way. "Don't let Satan Pffff it out. I'm gonna let it shine." Have a great day. JW

1 comment:

jackie chesnutt said...

You are so right. Satan is very good and he's far more persistent than we give him credit. It saddens me to see the same deaths, Jim, both in churches and in church people. Thanks for the reminder to stay strong. I love you.