Monday, September 24, 2007

The Chesnutts

It was a great weekend. I first scheduled to go down to Arkansas for one event and ended up at four. My first foray was the Green Valley Bible Camp golf tournament. Even though our team was four under for the round, I was reminded once again that I should not give up my day job. Then that evening I was privy to the Arkansas Razorback debacle. It's sad when the highlight of the game was the band and the flyover by the B-2 bomber. Sunday night I was asked to speak at an area-wide youth gathering. Although I did my best, there are other more talented and more engaging speakers than I. My prayer was that God used my words and entered the hearts of those listening.
But the highlight of the weekend was the Sunday morning service at the Southside Church of Christ in Rogers. There, my friend Jackie Chesnutt and his wife Mackie were honored for 30 years of service at the Southside church. Jackie and I came to NW Arkansas the same year and became good friends. Down through the years our paths continued to cross and as always, Jackie never ceased to amaze me with his friendship, his wisdom, and his love. One thing is always certain around Jackie, you will laugh.
Through the years I have sought Jackie's advice and he never ceased to amaze me with his wisdom. And as I said Sunday, there are those who may be smarter than Jackie and certainly more handsome, but there is no one with more godly wisdom than Jackie Chesnutt. One of the greatest gifts God has given to me in this life is to have Jackie as a friend.
The mayor was there to honor this wonderful couple. Terry Rush spoke in his own inimitable way about the "Wow!" of God. Gifts were given, lunch was served, and Jesus was honored. Yes, you read that right. Jesus was honored. You see, these two have their life built firmly on the Rock of Ages. Paul said one time, "Follow me as I follow Christ." I think that's the motto of Jackie and Mackie Chesnutt, because they have followed Christ as long as I have known them.
So today in this blog, I also honor my good friends Jackie and Mackie Chesnutt. Jackie, you married way above yourself. But I will tell you this, I count it a privilege to call you my friend. God bless you richly!! I love you! Have a great day. JW

1 comment:

jackie chesnutt said...

Jim, seeing you on Sunday was such a treat! That was a 'wow' for sure! Thanks so much for you and Martha sharing this day with us. I love you very much. The finest thing you could ever say about me is to call me 'friend.' Wow! What a day, huh?

And, yes, I, like you, my friend, indeed married above myself!