Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Family Reunion

There was belly-busting laughter. There were tears of sadness and remembrance. There were moments of wonder and awe. Now, you might think I am talking about a movie, but I'm talking of our family reunion.
My great-great grandfather James Hiram White moved to Meigs County, Ohio immediately after the Civil War. He served for the South during that war. If what I'm finding is true, it's a wonder that any of the White family is alive today. According to my grandfather, their land was so torn up they decided to move West from Virginia. There they settled and many of them still live in the area today.
We laughed and laughed at stories of my grandmother killing ants with her walker. We heard old jokes and laughed anyway. Laughter came naturally as we saw each other for the first time in years. My aunt cried as she told of her six month old sister dying of the flu in 1934. She woke up with a sniffle on Christmas day and was buried on January 1. She told a story of them opening the casket up at the cemetery on that cold winter day. My grandfather told them to close it because he didn't want her to get cold. My uncle cried as he mentioned missing my dad. I couldn't belive the story I heard about my grandfather being run over by a wagon when he was a little boy. Later in his life they found his stomach had been separated into really two stomachs causing many of his problems later in life. And as I told you yesterday, I was amazed at the lady who Dad baptized years ago.
That's what family reunions are like. And that's what our family reunion will be like when we all get together again in heaven. You might say, "How can there be tears?" My Bible says that God will wipe away all tears from our eyes. I'm looking forward to it. What a wonderful day that will be! I hope your day is a good one. JW

No comments: