Tuesday, September 04, 2007

The Woman in Aqua

She was wearing an aqua pant suit. Her hair was a brilliant out-of-the-bottle red. It had to be dyed because she was, well, she was old. The glasses she was wearing looked as if they covered her entire face. She saw me and made a bee-line for me. I was introduced by my aunt as Edward's youngest son.
You may already know this, but my son and I have been in Athens and Meigs County, Ohio at a White family reunion. I have so much more to write about with all of that, but I'll save it for another blog. My 17-year-old son went with some deep reservations and returned having the time of his life. I told him it was probably the highlight of his entire 17 years on this earth.
But back to the lady in aqua. Her smile was so wide on her skinny face that I thought I could see all 32 teeth. She stuck out her hand, "Lucille Carter," she said. "Your dad was a good friend of mine." "In fact," she continued, "he baptized me 65 years ago." Suddenly there was a connection. This previously unknown person and I had our lives eternally linked. A man who has been dead for 14 years, a woman in her 80s, and another man who previously didn't know the connection all of a sudden clicked. Her life was eternally changed because of the relationship she had with my dad. My dad's life was changed because of a relationship he had with the Savior of the world. My life is changed because of all three. It was a circle of life moment.
It meant a lot to me. It made it seem as if Dad was alive again. But really, he is alive. And once again, he's alive because of the relationship he had with our Lord. Have a great day. JW

1 comment:

Pat said...

Is Meigs County a euphemism for Bear Wallow?