Thursday, September 06, 2007

Dress Like a Preacher

My dad would make the (at that time) 14 hour drive to Ohio from Arkansas wearing a tie. "I just feel better with a tie on," he would say. I've worked in a field (enrollment management in higher education) where ties are not an option. Many times I've walked into a room and had the people say, "Okay, the suits are here." And when I was a little boy, how many times did I hear my mother say to me, "Stop running; you've got your church clothes on."?
So it didn't surprise me when I heard my aunt say, "I want a preacher to dress like a preacher." She also asked me if I wore a tie when I preached. "Sometimes." So I was interested to see what her preacher dressed like. Oh, my goodness, I stepped back into the 60s. He had dark pants, a white, short-sleeved shirt, and a smiley face tie. The smiley faces were all different expressions. It reminded me of some of the gatherings I would go to in college/university circles. We would be in a somewhat formal setting and someone would have a cartoon tie on.
So what how does a preacher dress? What is the correct attire? If you have the answer, I would love to know. I hope your day is a good one. JW

3 comments:

One Observationist said...

“So what how does a preacher dress?”

Sandals and a robe?

The more you “dress down” the more approachable you are.

I’ve enjoyed the family reunion posts. It’s great when life gives us an opportunity to reflect and remember.

Shane Coffman said...

How about:

In similar attire as those he is preaching to.

So, in my book the answer would vary depending on the group of people.

To some, the idea of dressing their preachers in robes is specifically for the purpose of removing the possibility of their message being lost in the distraction of their choice in clothing (especailly if it consists of cartoon ties...).

However, an unintended side effect is that it seems to send a message that such a person is better than others or unapproachable, as mentioned.

So, I vote for the "regular guy" attire.

Franklin Wood said...

a pair of wings and an Arkansas ballcap!