Tuesday, September 18, 2007

No Privacy Anymore

She was obviously upset about something when she sat down. Nate and I were sitting in the airport in Columbus, OH when this girl plopped herself down across from us. She pulled out two cell phones, dialed a number and began talking. Now I could hear everything she was saying. "I know, I know. We can make it. We'll just get to see each other once a week. I know it's hard." I can only assume she was talking to her boyfriend, fiancee, perhaps husband. I doubt the latter because she didn't have a wedding band on. She sobbed as she said several things to him about missing him and being with him, etc. As soon as she hung up, she picked up the other cell phone and I think she was texting.
Have you noticed, though, there is no privacy anymore. Used to, we took calls in our office. Now the phone is on our ear or in our pocket. And when people talk, it's as if they have the tin cans with the string connecting them. So they yell. "I JUST WANTED TO SEE IF YOU STILL WANTED TO RENT THE ROOM FOR THE CHRISTMAS PARTY." Another conversation I heard in an airport. Business is conducted, personal lives are revealed, and there is nothing private.
Ah, for the days. I love cell phones. But along with them come the quirks and nuances about them. Sometimes I just wish we'd go back to talking to each other. Not on Instant Messaging or Facebook or cell phone or anything else. Just talk. It's no wonder our world is the way it is. Oh, well. I need to get over it. Excuse me, my cell phone just rang. I hope you have a great day. JW

No comments: