Thursday, November 08, 2007

Keep Me From Judging

People disappoint. They do things they shouldn't do. They say things they shouldn't say. My initial reaction is to lash out. Tell them what they are doing wrong. Insist that they reverse, retract, and repent. Then a haunting verse enters my mind.

Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

Now I understand this statement. Perhaps all too well. But I know we do and we have to make judgments daily. Motivation is a key element in this. We can never know why somebody does what they do. We can't read minds, we can only see fruit. What bothers me is the last part of the verse. ...with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

So I try to see people through God's eyes. I try to allow grace and mercy to follow. Sometimes it's just impossible. So I allow God to be God and I take my rightful place as a clod of dirt. A clod of dirt, mind you, that God loves totally. And I back off. And I look forward to the day when I don't live in this fallen world anymore. Fatalistic? Absolutely not! Faith filled? Yes! I hope your day is good....and full of faith and hope. JW

No comments: