Thursday, November 01, 2007

Memorial

Last Saturday I was perusing our local newspaper and saw where there was an exhibit in town for the 9-11 memorial being built in New York City. We decided to go and see and we were not disappointed. As I saw those terrible pictures and heard the horrifying stories, tears welled up in my eyes. Six years removed we have forgotten the agony of that day and the months that followed. Now the event is politicized until it's nearly unrecognizable.
What I saw in those pictures and in that presentation were people. People who had lives and families and dreams. People whose lives were snuffed out for no apparent reason except for a blind hate for what the West stands for. It helped me to realize anew that the world needs a Savior. It needs Jesus so much.
My wife and I signed a beam that will be used in the memorial being built on the spot where the World Trade Centers stood. In reality, that doesn't really matter. Instead, the autograph of Jesus on the hearts of men and women in this world would make a difference that would last for all eternity.
I've written about attending church services at the Manhattan Church of Christ just one month before the first anniversary of that horrible event. I still remember one of the songs they sang that day.

Where cross the crowded ways of life, Where sound the cries of race and clan,
Above the noise of selfish strife, We hear Thy voice, O Son of man!

In haunts of wretchedness and need, On shadowed thresholds dark with fears,
From paths where hide the lures of greed, We catch the vision of Thy tears.

The cup of water giv'n for Thee still holds the freshness of Thy grace;
Yet long these multitudes to see the sweet compassion of Thy face.

O Master, from the mountain side, Make haste to heal these hearts of pain;
Among these restless throngs abide, O tread the city's streets again.


That last phrase caught me...especially while singing just a mere distance from where it all happened. "O tread the city's streets again." Wow. Let it be so. I hope your day is good. JW

No comments: