Wednesday, November 07, 2007

No Contract, No Shows!

I really don't have a dog in the hunt. I watch so little network TV that the recent writer's strike really is not going to have much effect on me. The only possibility is the late night shows. I get a kick from Leno and Letterman and O'Brien. But when I heard that as a result of the strike there would be more (un)reality shows, I nearly choked. Best I can figure, this is about money (isn't it always?) and something to do with internet and other things. Frankly, it doesn't matter much to me.
What I find amusing is these are writers who are on strike, right? I saw them on the picket line with their signs and they were chanting. Here's what they were saying, "No contract, No shows; No contract, No shows." Now c'mon! They're writers! Couldn't they be a whole lot more creative than that? You could at least have a black screen and a deep, movie voice kind of guy saying, "They say they're not willing to pay....but pay they will." Then you have that little bumper music thing from CSI and then, in slow motion show them carrying picket signs. Hey, at least show a little creativity even in rebellion mode. Or maybe that would include the sound guild or the picture guild. Oh, it gets too complicated.
Sorry for the rant. Aren't you glad your life is based on whether or not the writers are on strike? Have a great day. JW

1 comment:

Karen said...

Ya know, I wondered about this strike and what it was all about. Then a friend mentioned this post written by someone on strike, explaining the whys. I guess it makes sense now. Doesn't make me any happier, but I can understand the writers' position a bit better.

Nice to see you back. I was missing you!