Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Bad Day?

It is -7 degrees in Omaha as I type these words. Not wind chill, but -7 degrees. To breathe in causes me to cough. My ears feels as if they are about to break off (I had on ear coverings/muffs) and the car wouldn't warm up despite getting out and starting it about 15 minutes before leaving. My internet connection was not working last night. I would be looking at something, then all of a sudden, everything started moving in slow motion. Eventually, it would kick me out. You can imagine my frustration. The line at Starbucks this morning was not moving particularly fast. One of their machines was down, so the barista was having to make the drinks for the people at the counter andat the drive-thru with only one machine. I hear what you're saying. Wow, Jim. You have been having a bad 24 hours.
No, let me tell you about someone who's had it bad. I did the funeral for a lady yesterday who died relatively quickly. We were all concerned about her husband, and then she took a turn for the worse and died. I watched her husband closely as he stood at the foot of her coffin just looking into her face. There was activity all around him and occassionally someone would come up and talk to him. But all in all, he was by himself, alone with his thoughts. Occassionally he would wipe a tear. After all they had been married nearly 66 years. I wondered what was going through his mind. Was he remembering times of laughter they shared? Was he thinking of a particular bump in the road when they didn't know what they were going to do and she stood by his side? Was he thinking of their separation while he was in Germany and she at Wright-Patterson in Dayton, Ohio during World War II? Was he thinking of the lonely days ahead of him here on this earth without his beloved wife?
No, somebody cutting me off in traffic does not constitute a bad day. Sometimes, it's good to get things in perspective, isn't it? I hope your day is a good one...even if there are some minor bumps. Remember, God loves you so much. Nothing...nothing will ever change about that. JW

No comments: