Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Inside Out

One of the books I treasure in my library is a book I got from my Dad. It's the complete works of Josephus and the book is getting old and torn. I decided it was a good time to get another copy. So I found a copy from Crossings Book Club (if you would like to join, just let me know. It's a good book club.) at a good price and I purchased it.
My box came yesterday and I was so proud to receive this new copy. It's got a beautiful picture on the front cover of the Coliseum in Rome. I was so excited. When I opened the book, it was upside down and backwards. You can imagine my surprise. A beautiful book with a beautiful hard cover with a beautiful price...it looked so good on the outside. Inside, it wasn't right.
Guess where I'm going with this? Jesus told the Pharisees and the scribes, "Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You are like whitewashed tombs, which look beautfiul on the outside but on the inside are full of dead men's bones and everything unclean."
Jesus' message in the Sermon on the Mount was, as Mike Cope coined, righteousness inside out. What good does it do to look good on the outside when inside we are full of jealousy, greed, adultery, hatred, and all kinds of evil? Instead, we should allow God to "create a pure heart" in us. Then will we look good on the outside.
How do you look on the outside? Is it because of the clean inside or is it just a facade? I hope your day is good. JW

No comments: