Monday, February 18, 2008

Meandering

As I walked out of my local Starbucks this morning, the sign on the bank said it was 17 degrees. The low tonight is supposed to be zero. We've had snow on the ground since December 5th. Two weeks ago on Wednesday I started coming down with a chest cold. Just about the time I was over that, an intestinal bug hit me. (Please don't make me describe that.) It's a terrible way to lose weight. Today, I'm feeling pretty good. There's a bounce in my step. I feel as if I may be feeling better...finally.
I preached about this yesterday. I entitled it "Meandering." Our spiritual growth doesn't come from reading the Scripture or gathering with the saints, it comes from what happens when life happens to us. Don't misunderstand, the Scriptures are important to fall back on and to rely on when we're in those difficult times. They help us to see how the people of those times dealt with their problems. And my times with the saints encourage me and help me to get through those times. James said, "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." (James 1:2, 3) Pure joy?
If I lived in Hawaii, I think I would tire of the warm weather. (Although, I think I would like to give it a shot for four or five years.) What makes you appreciate the warmth is when you don't have it. What makes us appreciate heaven is that we live here on earth. I can only imagine.
So if you're going through a particular trial or test, count it pure joy. I know that's hard to do, but there's sunshine on the other side. And if it doesn't happen here, it will happen there. Our lives were not intended to be linear, but we meander in this life trusting that God is in control. I can't wait.

This world is not my home,
I'm just a-passin' through.
My treasures are laid up
Somewhere beyond the blue.
The angels beckon me
From heaven's open door,
And I can't feel at home
In this world anymore.

Oh, Lord, you know I have no friend like you.
If heaven's not my home then, Lord, what will I do?
The angels beckon me from heaven's open door,
And I can't feel at home in this world anymore.


Have a great day! JW

No comments: