Wednesday, February 13, 2008

My Book

I just sat watching a video of my son singing in show choir and a twinge of sadness came over me. You see, he's been doing this since he was in eighth grade; this particular group, varsity show choir, he's been singing in since he was a sophomore. It's a wonderful group with a national reputation and very few get to spend one year in it let alone three as my son has. But in May, he'll sing in it for the very last time. An end to a chapter.
My words to my daughter and her husband to be on their wedding day were the same. The close of a chapter...the chapter of living in my house to the chapters of their lives to follow.
We all are writing in this book. Snippets, stories of what happens day by day. And although on the surface the daily life looks pretty mundane, once the chapters are pieced together there is a book, a story that makes up our lives. I've been thinking, what does my life look like? Frankly, it really doesn't matter to me what others think of the book I've been writing. What matters to me is what God thinks. Have I been serving Him? Are the chapters laced with giving cold water, speaking words of encouragment, and being salt for Him? Or have they been stories of greed and lust and envy and pride?
Fortunately, for Christians, God has His holy eraser, editing out those scenes of sin and leaving in the ones of love and service. And in truth, He makes me look a lot better than I really am. Why? I really don't know...except....He loves me. Remember these words sung as a child:
Jesus loves me this I know,
For the Bible tells me so.
Little ones to Him belong,
They are weak, but He is strong.
Yes, Jesus loves me.
Yes, Jesus loves me.
Yes, Jesus loves me,
The Bible tells me so.


Why is it, such simple words mark such a profound thought? How's your book coming along? Have a great day. JW

No comments: