Monday, February 25, 2008

It Was Fun

Life's not always fun, nor joyful, nor satisfying, nor....Our family has had it's rough spots lately. Nothing that's overwhelming or life-threatening. More of a nuisance than anything. Just enough to nag at the heart.
Yesterday after services, we were all gathered around a desk in the main office at church looking at the church calendar trying to decide when we would have my son's graduation party. It was my daughter (her husband was at work), my son (the senior in high school), my wife and me. We talked about a little bit of everything. We were laughing and enjoying each other's company. It didn't hit me until later that that's what life's all about. Those few minutes of joy were precious. For a few minutes we weren't worried about what was going on outside the walls of the office. We weren't concerned about world events. It was just us. I thought to myself, there aren't going to be many of these moments left. You see, my son is going away to school in August and my daughter and her husband--well, they have their own life. So we might as well enjoy the few moments that we can spend together...and laugh. Life's too serious to spend all of our time fretting and crying. Occasionally, we just have to laugh. And laugh we did. It was good. Oh, won't heaven be wonderful! Have a great day.

1 comment:

One Observationist said...

I agree Jim. I treat life as a serious business on most days and a lot of the time I miss out on the little, precious moments. Glad you and yours were able to take a few minutes to spend together and that you were able to reflect on the experience. It makes life worth living; the little things that is.