Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Beneath the Cross of Jesus

I've been thinking of the resurrection a lot lately. And, yes, I am going to preach an "Easter" sermon this Sunday. Like Christmas, we seem to want to give the obligatory, "We really don't know when...." But the death of Jesus, his resurrection came around the Passover, which is about this time of the year. Very similarly to the same time frame as we know today.
One of the things I've been thinking about is how much the resurrection dominated the apostles' lives. That was the theme of Peter's sermons all throughout Acts. He gave the classic three point sermon: 1. Jesus was born of God. 2. You killed Him. 3. That's all right, God raised Him from the dead. Then he had them sing "Just As I Am" for 30 minutes and they had a first century revival.
Paul said, "May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ." He even said with tears that many live as enemies of the cross. Donald Miller says that in baptism, we identify with Christ. Romans 6:1-6 reiterates that sentiment.
The resurrection really is the Christian's high water point. It is his victory. It is his battle cry. It is his life. We should live in the shadow of the cross every day. Jesus even encouraged us to take up our crosses daily to follow Him. Crosses are for dying. And Paul reminds us that we are to be crucified with Christ. What I love about that passage is he doesn't stop there. He says, "Yet I live." Do you wonder why you struggle with life sometimes? Do you not have the peace that passes understanding? Perhaps you haven't been raised with Jesus.
One of my favorite scenes in the movie The Passion of Christ lasts only about 30 seconds. It isn't the beatings, it isn't the depiction of Satan, it isn't Judas dying, it isn't carrying the cross, it isn't the relationship between Son and mother, it's the end. There was no fanfare, just a risen Jesus with holes in His hands. The fanfare was and continues to be in our heavenly home.
Beneath the cross of Jesus I fain would take my stand. The shadow of a mighty rock within a weary land. A home within the wilderness, a rest upon the way. From the burning of the noontide heat, and the burden of the day. I take, O cross, they shadow for my abiding place. I ask no other sunshine than the sunshine of His face. Content to let the world go by, to know no gain nor loss. My sinful self, my only shame, my glory all the cross! Amen! Have a great day! JW


2 comments:

David U said...

Great post, Jim! I kmow your congregation will be blessed by the sermon you are bringing this coming Sunday.

You gotta die before you can live.


DU

Donna G said...

I knew it! I knew Just As I Am came from the first century church...(sorry for the sarcasm)

Really I enjoyed the post.