Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Cult Headquarters--The Church of Christ

If you have watched any of Nancy Grace and CNN this week, you'll have learned that the Church of Christ is a cult. Now I find it interesting that she asked someone else about us, took one opinion, and if you really look at it, he never really said, "cult," and after that she didn't want to hear anything else.
Now if she were being fair, almost any church group in America could be defined as a cult. The Catholic church is extremely exclusivistic. Many Baptist churches are. And what about the Islam faith? I don't hear anyone going around clanging the cymbal and calling them a cult.
Now maybe I'm a "glass half-full" kind of guy, but I see this as an opportunity. It's the opportunity to say, "Come and see for yourself." Come to worship and see what we talk about. Follow me for a day. Paul said, "Follow me as I follow Christ." It seems to me he was saying, "Watch me." Why can't we issue the same challenge? Why can't we say in our newspapers, in the streets, on television, "if you think we're a cult, we invite to you services this Sunday. We promise there will be no brain-washing, we'll not have Kool-Aid to drink, and you can see that we are Jesus believing, God fearing people, who want to make this world a better place.
My experience has been that when you're with people who believe very differently than you, they think you're going to blast them in a judgmental way. When they find out you're a regular person and nice and not obnoxious, they're actually surprised. Peter said to "Live such good lives among the pagans that they are ashamed." Maybe we've forgotten those lessons and carried our soap boxes around with us. Perhaps it's time to say as Philip did, "Come and see." I hope you have a great day! JW

No comments: