Monday, April 10, 2006

Making History

I just finished a biography written by my good friend John Williams with Eloise Muncy on the life of her husband, Ray Muncy. It's entitiled Making History. I've never read a biography where I knew the person being written about and his family. David was their only child I really didn't know. I went to school with Marc, I knew their daughter Kandy, and Zac was a friend of mine when I later lived in Searcy. I never had Dr. Muncy for a class, but he and Eloise travelled to Harding University in Florence with my dad and mom. I knew the people involved in the book and was familiar with many of the places. It was also amazing to see the lives touched and what an influence one life can have for eternity. For example, Dr. Muncy baptized John Clayton. One life changed to change many, many other lives.
What struck me about the book was the sheer honesty of the lessons learned. They didn't cover anything up. They showed their family for what they were, people who made mistakes. And, frankly, Eloise depicted him in an almost heroic fashion. I asked my wife if I were to die if she would do the same. "Sure, honey," was her reply.
It was a wonderful illustration of what our lives are...they are good times and bad, happy and sad, a perfect illustration of Satan's destruction and God's healing. I remember going to visit Dr. Muncy at the hospital in Springdale just weeks before he died. I've seen his family experience some of their ups and downs. Yet in spite of it all, Dr. Muncy worshiped God. Same thing Job did. Same thing we should do. He lived a good life and his influence continues even to this day.

1 comment:

David U said...

Jim, ask Cope the impact Bro. Ray had on him as a Shepherd the next time you see him! :)

And where would that be?

DU