Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Hurricane Katrina

Several have asked me how my trip to New Orleans went. If you've read my previous blog, you'll understand kind of what is going through my mind. I told them, "I'm excited, I'm depressed, I'm sad, I'm hopeful, I'm just about every emotion you can think of. The reality of this really hit home.
But I want you to pray for the Tammany Oaks Church of Christ. I want you to pray for all the people of New Orleans. I want you to pray for all the Christians in New Orleans. I want you to pray for all who have worked, who are working, and who will work in New Orleans.
Why did this happen to New Orleans? Some will tell you because of the evil, wicked city that it is. I've just met a long of wonderful people who love God and are doing their best to spread the name of Jesus in the city...and they live there. Why did it happen to them? (We could get into a major discussion of the book of Job here!).
It happened because of warm fronts and cold fronts, merging in such a way and crossing into the warm waters of the gulf. It's the world we live in. It happpens because of atmospheric conditions. It has nothing to do with punishment or anything else other than it's the way the earth works.
But once again it does bring up the importance of using every opportunity--including a hurricane--to show God's love and what He will accomplish. Have a great day. JW

No comments: