Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Free

Sometimes I just have to be hit in the face to see something. I call it "God's Holy 2 X 4." Let me explain.
Yesterday, I was able to get a free venti no-water chai from Starbucks. The last time I had been in, I was randomly selected to do a survey. There was nothing in particular that I do or did to deserve receiving this freebie. But you can rest assured, I was willing to receive it. I answered a few questions, wrote down some verifying number, returned the receipt, and "voila!" a free drink.
At lunch, we were celebrating one of our colleagues' birthday. It's tradition. We go somewhere, birthday boy/girl's choice, and we all chip in for a free meal for the celebratee. While we were eating yesterday, one of our members came by the table and asked who was working at the church office. We laughed and explained that we were all enjoying a birthday party. Soon after, the waiter came over and told us that this person had paid for all of our meals. Another freebie. What a great stroke of luck!
In the middle of the night last night, it hit me. (Remember God's Holy 2 x 4?) A perfect example of Easter's wonder. I did nothing to deserve anything and luck had nothing to do with it. Yet I receive God's free gift everyday. Although it doesn't match up to the wonders of God's free gift of eternal life, it's a wonderful earthly example of spiritual concepts. In fact, God's grace is an every day gift, not just one in awhile. God's mercy, God's goodness, God's love...every day, all the time free gifts.
And who says Starbucks isn't good for you!! Have a great day.

No comments: