Tuesday, March 13, 2007

And Israel did Evil in the Eyes of the Lord

Those of you who read this blog know that I write in my Bible. I take notes, I underline, I make comments. When I see something often, I will circle the word because if it's being emphasized in Scripture, then I probably ought to take note.
Recently, I've been reading through the book of Judges. I know the same phrase is being repeated in Kings, Chronicles, and Samuel; or at least something like it. But I see the phrase, "...the Israelites did evil in the eyes of the Lord." Several times it's preceded by the word, "Again." It's my tendency to shake my head and tsk, tsk, tsk at those poor Israelites. They didn't listen did they.
Fast forward to March, 2007. Last night I sat in an elder's meeting and listened to the plight of a number of people. Marriages that are struggling, lives that are in turmoil, flat out sin. And I wonder....if the prophet were writing today, would he be saying, "Again Southwest did evil in the eyes of the Lord." Realistically, I don't think so, because our leaders are meeting to talk and pray and to help intercede in such issues. But if it comes the time when all of us, leaders included, begin to being involved or condone such things, then we would be just as guilty.
Praise God for His grace! May we never get to the point that evil would not be associated with us. Have a great day.

No comments: