Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Peter Pan Lives

Have I mentioned recently that I was in Disneyworld last week? I know, this blog will be similar to yesterday, but I was able to do one of my favorite things there...people watch. I was sitting in front of the U.S. exhibit in EPCOT one day last week watching all the parents trying to deal with their children. There was one family of three, pushing a stroller; the kids were probably 5, 3, and a toddler. What set them apart was all three kids were dressed in green Peter Pan outfits. I mean, complete with hats and a red feather. They were so cute.
Then my mind started to wander and think. Can you imagine if one of the parents had been wearing a Peter Pan outfit also? What would have been the reaction? You can imagine the chortling and guffaws coming from those watching. "What's a grown man doing in a Peter Pan outfit?" we might chuckle.
It happens all the time. Really. We put on our outfits, we hide behind masks, we pretend to be something we're not. If you don't believe me, go to church on Sunday morning and see all the people all dressed up looking very spiritual, yet living lives that are full of sin and hate and despair. What's the difference? Just as we think a grown man wearing a Peter Pan outfit is ridiculous, so is wearing fake smiles and fake personalities and fake lives. When God knows everything, every thought every motive about you, why do you (we) try to fake everyone else out? Fear. We're afraid everyone won't like us. When our goal should be to please the One, the only One, who matters, we spend our time trying to fool everyone else. Instead, we should be working to please God and not worry about all the others. Once again we have it completely switched. So, listen to these words from David.

Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting. I couldn't have said it any better myself. Have a great day. JW

No comments: