Thursday, June 28, 2007

Change

I tried something different this morning. Ever since I began shaving (I believe that was about the age of two), I have shaved the same way. On the neck under the chin, then the sides, then the tough chin, then under the nose. Same way for all these years. I've done it with mirrors and without. I've shaved in the shower. I've shaved nearly everywhere. I've tried the electric stuff and only ended up with ingrown hairs.
This morning I experimented. I started with the chin. My hands could hardly move there. I went to one side of my face, then to the lip. The neck was the last thing I shaved. Even a moment ago, I felt my face to see if I was really able to shave cleanly. It was different. It accomplished the same task. But I'm telling you, it was one of the hardest things I've ever done? Why? Because it was the way I always did it.
You already know where I'm going, don't you? Change is inevitable. If we don't grow, something is wrong. We don't look the same as we did when we first started shaving. We don't look the same as we did when we were born. Change happens. So many times we play church and when someone comes around with an idea of how to do something differently, we immediately brand them as a heretic, liberal, or change agent. The latter is one of my favorite terms. Change agent. Kind of sounds like a spy.
God never changes. He's the same today as He was yesterday and the way He will be tomorrow. But I MUST CHANGE! The songwriter said it best when he said, "New heights I'm gaining every day." It is up to me to become more like God. What? "Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children and live a life of love just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a frangrant offering and sacrifice to God." Ephesians 5:1
Don't be afraid of change. In fact, change is one of the most natural things that happens. Make sure you hang on to the things that never change. Then change what you must. Have a great day. JW

1 comment:

Theresa Michelle said...

My grandma is such an example of this philosophy to me, if I can brag on her here. I look at so many people who, as they get older, are more and more resistent to change.

Not my grandma. She has such a close relationship with Jesus and honestly seeks to be like Him - and it really shows. She keeps growing and stays flexible - keeps changing! I can't believe she's 88 - she lives alone in her farm house, quite independent. It's not because she's stubborn and won't give up; I really think she's ready whenever God calls her home. She accepts each new challenge life brings and uses it to bring glory to God. What an example!