Monday, June 18, 2007

Religious Blowhards

One of the pleasures of living in Omaha, NE is being able to go to the College World Series. What a blast to see eight great teams come in and compete. I have to admit, in spite of the blast of sunburn I got last Saturday, it's really something that's fun. Unless....
Friday, my son and I were sitting along the third base side in the corner of left field. Behind us was a guy who was, well, I'll just say it, a blowhard. He had no clue what he was talking about. And talk he did. He commented on every pitch. He called the pitcher "Meat." "C'mon, Meat. Throw the curve ball, Meat." His friend who was a baseball novice asked him the question, "How do all these teams qualify to come?" His answer? "Well, they have these things called regionals and they play each other." Wow! That's bright, Sherlock. The fact that they have regionals all over the country where 64 teams compete. Four in each regional. Then they have Super Regionals where the final eight teams are decided by a best two out of three series. Then it's a double elimination at the CWS with the final two teams playing the best two out of three.
There was a foul ball down the third base line. "Awwww, c'mon ump! How could you call that foul. It was in fair territory. I'll pay for your next eye examination." The gentleman in front of me turned around smiling, he said, "It wasn't even close." Constant talk, never saying anything.
I wonder if that's how we come across in the church. Always talking, rarely acting. Spouting off as if we knew everything, but really knowing very little. And truly we often come off sounding like religious blowhards. Yet we keep talking and talking and talking. Who was it, Francis of Assisi who said something like, "Preach the gospel always. if necessary, use words." Perhaps that should be our motto.
You've got to realize, these are hard words for a preacher because I am one who talks for a living. But I need to realize that actions speak louder than words. How cliche. How true. I hope your day is good. And I hope you don't have to sit in front of a pseudo know-it-all. JW

No comments: