Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Sacrifice

Three years ago yesterday I stood on the shores of Omaha Beach looking out over the North Sea where the Normandy Invasion occurred 60 years earlier. What an inspiring place to stand knowing that thousands of heroes died that day. The walk through the cemetery is equalling humbling.
Several years before that, I stood in the memorial that spans the U.S.S. Arizona at Pearl Harbor. Over 3000 soldiers are still entombed in the ship. There is a permanent oil slick there, described as the ship weeping for its inhabitants.
I have also walked among the graves at Arlington National Cemetery and have been moved to tears while hearing Taps being played at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. All of these places are ones of sacrifice and honor and quietness.
Yet, one day there was One who was sentenced for a crime He didn't commit. He was killed for speaking the truth. He was nailed to a tree in my place. And though I am moved by seeing the sacrifices of our troops, I am even more humbled by my Lord and Savior who died so that I could have life. It was He who taught the world about sacrifice. He led the way, as always. He did so willingly so that we might have life, hope. Thank you, Lord! Thank you! I hope your day is good. JW

No comments: