Wednesday, June 13, 2007

VBS

I've got the joy, joy, joy, joy down in my heart. Where? Down in my heart. Where? Down in my heart.....Those of you who have ever attended Vacation Bible School know that song. Now you have to sing it with a scowl on your face because it's very serious singing about joy. Nowadays we sing songs like, Who is the King of the jungle? (Ooo Ooo) Who is the King of the sea? (Wadda Wadda Wadda), etc.
Yes, tomorrow night we begin our VBS. I remember the "Brought One" buttons. If you brought somebody, you got a pin. If you brought 10 by the end of the VBS (we were industrious back then) then you got a "Brought 10" button. No door prize, only a button.
But a lot of teaching goes on at these. Robert Fulghum wrote a book All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten. In it he tells of basic things we need to know. Well here's what we learn in VBS.

1. God is God and there is no One like Him
2. Singing is fun
3. There are a lot of people who care for children
4. Church buildings can be used for a lot of cool things
5. Kool-Aid and cookies are good
6. My teachers act a lot like Jesus would
7. I like learning with others
8. You can learn about Jesus days other than Sunday and Wednesday
9. The Bible is God's Word
10. I can't wait until next year's VBS

I hope your day is good. JW

3 comments:

Karen said...

What? No "Booster" song??? Which tune did you sing it to? I grew up singing it to a tune very similar to the "Ten Little Indians" song, but by the time I was in college, I was hearing it being sung to the tune of the chorus of "The Battle Hymn of the Republic."

Tracy said...

One year at VBS I guessed how many people were there and I got a little Bible. I still have it and can remember walking up on stage to receive it! These kids will remember this for a long time! And I know they won't forget seeing Franklin in his safari outfit tonight!! HAHA
P.S. The ibuprofin isn't working!

preacherman said...

Karen,
That is great! I love that song!
I've got the joy, joy, joy down in my heart is one of my favorite songs from VBS.
Tracy, I remember the little Bibles. Those were so cool.
VBS was so fun.

It seems now days that VBS just isn't what it used to be. I don't know if it is the way our society is changing and we have so many other thing that compete with VBS. I just don't know if VBS if relavent anymore.