Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Paul's Task

We often talk about the apostle Paul, about his mission in this world. He mentions that he is the apostle to the Gentiles. Missions are good. Mission statements are important. They give us direction. They give us a starting and ending point. But I found something today that just verified my thoughts lately.
You who have been reading my blog know that I have mentioned a lot about grace. You've heard me say that I had an elder (not where I am now) tell me that he thought we could talk too much about grace. How can that be? It's by grace that we're saved. Grace is one of the foundational things we must latch onto. The New Testament is full of grace. Paul's teachings are full of grace. The apostles taught grace often.
Today, as I was reading in Acts, I found Paul's mission. He was talking to the Ephesian elders and he tells them that he is being warned by the Holy Spirit that hardships were facing him at every turn. But here's his reply to that.

However, I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me--

Here it is! The task the Lord Jesus has given him. What is that task? Is it to go to all the world? Is it to preach in Rome? Is it to tell the Gentiles of God's love? The answer to all of those questions is "yes." But not in the form we often think. Listen to what the task is.

...the task of testifying to the gospel of God's grace. Acts 20:24

There it is again. The gospel (good news) of God's (The Almighty, the Creator, I AM) grace (God's riches at Christ's expense). Wow! If you ever needed evidence of our message, there it is. God's grace. That's our task, our mission. To tell the world of God's grace. Why don't we start today. Why don't we start believing in our own lives today. Have a great day. JW

No comments: