Thursday, June 07, 2007

What Defines You

I was picking up my (not as often) venti, no water chai from Starbucks this morning. The young barista who made my drink called out, "Venti, no water chai." "That's me," I proclaimed. She said, "I hope that's not you. That's just your drink."
I started to think about that. When Hal Holbrook did a Mark Twain imitation, the advertisement said, "Hal Holbrook is Mark Twain." When referring to Jerry West, former West Virginia Mountaineer and Los Angeles Lakers basketball star, they call him "The Logo." They call him that because the logo of the NBA is Jerry West. He's also called "Mr. Basketball."
Who do people say you are? Or, what defines your life? Is it your job? Is it some extra-curricular activity you are involved in? Some civic club? Are you called Mr. or Ms. Kiwanis? Really, ask yourself, "What defines me?"
For Paul it was easy. "For me to live is Christ..." He spoke with deeds and actions, not just words. Truly he lived de facto for or as Jesus. Perhaps that our role here on earth. To show people who Jesus really was. To truly ask the question before every action, "What would Jesus do?" We need to be Jesus with skin. What a challenge! What a mission! What a Savior! What a Lord! Have a great day. JW

No comments: