Thursday, February 23, 2006

Colors and Other Important Matters

I don't want you to think that all I do is write about deeply serious stuff of a spiritual nature. Most of my writings are dribblings from a soul who falls woefully short of God's glory. Something struck me in the shower today, though, that I find very interesting.
I have discovered a huge difference between men and women. I know, you think I've lost my mind, but bear with me for a minute. There is a gene in all women that differentiates colors. Let me explain. My wife and I one time had an argument (slight disagreement) about the color of a house. She said the bricks were grey, I said the bricks were brown. Or was it the other way around? But it goes deeper than that. By the way, this is what set me off on this topic. My shaving gel is blue, my shampoo is orange, and my pants are tan. Now my wife would say my shaving gel is navy, my shampoo is peach, and my pants are khaki. To me, blue is blue. To her (and to all women at large, not all large women) there are shades of blue. There is navy, there is aqua, there is sky blue. It's blue, for heaven's sake!!
It's kind of like the Southern term for all carbonated drinks. We used to say, "Would you like a Coke?" That meant, some kind of carbonated drink. In the north, Coke is the drink "Coke." In the south, a Coke could be a Sprite or Dr. Pepper or even, wonder of wonders, Coke! In the north, it's called pop. Other places soda.
But back to my original premise. And it goes further than just colors. I go to a wedding and if my wife wasn't there, she would say, "What did the bride's dress look like?" That's easy. White. The bride's maids carried flowers and the groomsmen had flowers on their lapels. What's wrong with that? To hear my wife describe the dress, you would hear words like taffeta, and cream, and v-neck, and bodice, and (by this time my head is back, eyes rolled into the back of my head, and I'm snoring.) tulle. I thought tulle was what I had in my tulle box. You know, hammers, screw drivers, wrenches. Guys, you know what tulle is? It's a fabric! I didn't know that until my daughter got married last spring.
So upon further review, I've decided that this gene is a detail gene. It goes beyond colors and soft drinks and wedding details. It is the essence of women. It's what sets them apart from men....among other things. Have a great day. JW

1 comment:

Donna G said...

You need to get a hammer out of your tulle (tool) box and hit something. Or just sit back and have a coke (Mountain Dew) and relax.

I don't know one detail about most things but color is important. I think it was that box of 64 Crayola Crayons that messed me up. You have orange, burnt orange, red orange, yellow orange and so on..... See its not my fault.