Thursday, February 09, 2006

Mundane

Car dealerships are great at it. First there's the New Year's Blowout! Then there's the President's Day Sale! Then the St. Patrick's "All Cars Gotta Go" Sale. You get the picture. Then you have the Super Bowl and the Grand Opening Sale and the Mega-Deals of the century.
So it's no wonder that we wonder where God is. We get up and we do the same old things we've done for the same old life. We make the same old breakfast and go to the same old work. We want excitement! We want miracles! We want "Water to Wine" activities.
I've missed the presence of God lately. That doesn't mean I've quit praying. It's just a time in my life when I have not felt God's presence as much. Don't worry, I've talked to Him about it. He knows how I feel.
So today, I get up in the same old way to take my son to school. What a glorious sunrise. I notice it. My son and I talk briefly about it. I go to Starbucks for the essential venti Chai. The guy says, "So, you got big plans for the weekend?" "As a matter of fact, I do," I reply. I tell him about the dinner for tomorrow to honor the ladies of the congregation. "Where's that?" he asks. "At the church across the street." Did you see it? Two things. Bang, bang! God says, "I'm here!!!" Don't miss me. He said it in the glorious red colors of the morning sun. He said, "Here's an opportunity for you to talk about Jesus with the guy at Starbucks." We live in such a consumer society where everything is "Big, Grand, Super!" that we forget that most of our lives are mundane. Plodding along, seeing God in little things. In those "cup of water" moments. I pray that you see God today. Don't be as blind as I am. Have a great day! JW

1 comment:

Donna G said...

Thanks, this blind reader needs to be reminded. I too feel a distance that I know who needs to bridge...