Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Small World

There was a young couple many years ago in Ohio with dreams and aspirations for the future. They met another young couple, a preacher and his young wife. They became great friends. Through the years their lives would cross and their children got to know each other and all looked forward to time spent together. The couples moved and only got to see each other occassionally. But they communicated by mail and when they did get together, usually in the summer, there was home-made ice cream, laughter, and joy.
Their lives were connected in many ways, mostly through the church. It was a connection that went beyond surface, it was entwined with eternity. The son of the preacher couple went on with his life. Every once in awhile he would also come across the other couple and their kids. But not near as often as the original two couples. And less and less as time went on.
Yesterday the son went to a funeral of a colleague's father-in-law. There he saw the man who was his father's friend. Small world, isn't it? Especially since the funeral was in Bentonville, Arkansas. All those many miles, those many experiences, those many memories. I saw Carl Lamp. I hadn't seen him in years. It was my parents who were his friends. "I miss your Dad," he said. "I miss them both," I told him. But what a joy to see him. And what a connection was made those many years ago that even though the time has separated, eternity has not. It's the Carl Lamps of the world and everyone else I've had the privilege to know in my life time that I will look forward to singing praises to God with for all eternity. And I have my own list. And I hope my kids will enjoy the friendships and relationships that I have been able to make down through the years. You know who you are. Have a great day! JW

No comments: