Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Who's Side Are You On?

One of my favorite songs from my youth was a song, "Who Will Follow Jesus?". Remember it?
Who will follow Jesus standing for the right,
Holding up His banner in the thickest fight?
Listening to His orders, ready to obey,
Who will follow Jesus, serving Him today?

Who will follow Jesus? Who will make reply?
I am on the Lord's side, Master here am I.
Who will follow Jesus? Who will make reply?
I am on the Lord's side, Master here am I.

I thought of that song as I read my Bible reading this morning. The Israelites are getting ready to fight Jericho when a man appears before Joshua. His sword is drawn and Joshua asks him whose side he's on, ours or our enemies. "Neither" is the the response. Now is this guy from Switzerland? Is he the neutral guy in all of the wars? No! He says he's the commander of the Lord's army. Now think about that for a minute, if anyone should be on the Israelite's side, it should be the Lord. Right?

Perhaps we don't get the right picture. God's side is always the right side and it is we who decide if we want to be one His side...not vice versa. One of my pet peeves is the saying, "God and me, we make a majority." It almost sounds like it's in the balance until we decide and then the scales are tipped. Let me tell you something, God was in the majority long before we came along.

In our battle and struggles in life, we need to realize that God's side always wins. Always. Every day we wake up and we decide who's side we'll be on. I wish I could say I always select the right side, but I don't. And just like the Israelites when I don't, Whamo! I get slapped along the side of the head. When will I ever learn?

So today, my song is "I am on the Lord's side, Master here am I." Join me, won't you? Have a great day. JW

No comments: