Wednesday, February 08, 2006

God Up Front

I uncovered some cards I wrote earlier in the year after reading Chip Ingram's book, God as He Longs for You to See Him. That book was a reading that so excited me. I had written the cards, at Chip's instruction, to remind me every day of the love, sovereignty, goodness, and holiness of God. Those words inspired me so much. Then life happened and I got busy. My desk got covered up...until today when I uncovered the cards anew.
And I read words like, "God's love is His holy disposition toward all that he has created that compels him to express unconditional affection and selective correction to provide the highest quality of existence, both now and forever, for the object of his love." Or how about this, "By his (God's) nature he is inclined to bestow blessednes and he takes holy pleasure in the happiness of his people." And I realize I've pushed God aside and let life take over. Instead, I should allow God to take over and let Him lead my life.
I've pulled these cards back out from underneath the mess and they serve as a metaphor for my life. I want God there but they get pushed under the mess of events, appointments, and works. Some never find Him again. Fortunately, I commune with Him daily. But to be honest, I need these words to tell me of how good God is to me.
How about you? Do you have the same challenge in your life? Does the tyranny of the urgent assign God to a back row seat? Try as you may to cover Him up, it can't happen. But He stands and waits for the prodigal to come home and then He runs to greet us. Praise God! Have a great day. JW

1 comment:

Donna G said...

what a great analogy for what happens way too often in my life...God and my good intentions just get covered up.