Tuesday, June 13, 2006

The First One

I'm convinced that he was God-placed. You see, I wanted to muck houses, not prayer walk. I wanted to get dirty and get my hands covered with dust. But I received a call from those in charge and they asked me to help with the prayer walking for the week. Knowing that I needed to be where I was needed most, I agreed. So I entered my task with not only some fear, but also with some regret. But the very first man I talked to in Ward 9 was sitting on some steps. He was a Hispanic looking man who was looking as if he were taking a short break from some work.
I walked up to him and told him who I was. I asked him where if he was here during the Storm. Most people didn't call it a hurricane or even Hurricane Katrina, they just referred to it as the Storm. "Yes, I stayed here. I lived down in Chalumette." He went on to tell me about having to go up into the attic of his house because of the rising water. Eventually, he said, he had to cut a hole in his roof where he waited for several days with his two dogs. Finally, someone came with a boat and took him to higher ground. He had lost his job, but he and his brother had started a new business. We prayed together on that spot. There was hope. It wasn't so in most people with whom I visited. I found him, as most people in the area, ready to share his story. As I left, he said to me, "You all be careful out there. This isn't a very good neighborhood." Good advice. I think I'll give the same advice to you. Be careful out there. This world is not a very good neighborhood sometimes. Have a great day. JW

No comments: