Tuesday, June 20, 2006

God Speaks, Even When I'm Not Listening

God moves in mysterious ways. Yesterday as I was dealing with a particular situation, during a time when I usually try to keep silent and listen to God, I placed my earpieces in and listened to my iPod. The randomly selected song was by Twila Paris--"He Will Never Give Up on You." The song continues, "and neither will I." Maybe I was trying to block God out, but He spoke clearly anyway.
Today, after dealing with a heart-wrenching marriage counseling session last night, I tried the same technique. Perhaps I could block everything out, even God, and just drive to work. With ear pieces firmly in place, the randomly selected song came on..."Healing Rain" by Michael W. Smith. That's what this couple needs right now, some healing.
After arriving at my office, I read this passage from Isaiah, "Don't be afraid, I've redeemed you. I've called your name. You're mine. When you're in over your head. I'll be there with you. When you're in rough waters, yhou will not go down. When you're between a rock and a hard place, it won't be a dead end--Because I am God, your personal God, the Holy of Israel, your Savior...I'd sell off the whole world to get you back, trade the creation just for you." (Isaiah 43)
Thank you, God, for noticing I needed to hear your voice. Thank you for speaking in spite of me running from you and plugging my ears. Forgive me when I try to hide from you. You are Holy. You are Mighty. And I know You love me. Have a great day. JW

1 comment:

Franklin Wood said...

Isn't that awesome when that happens? Often, I try to sing along, but get choked up because God is speaking so loudly through the song. Praise God for good music!