Thursday, June 22, 2006

A Mother's Grief

It was one of the most moving and remarkable things I have been able to witness...the tranformation of a life. You have heard me talk of a young 16-year-old girl from our congregation who was murdered. That happened one year ago yesterday. That, in and of itself, is amazing to me. The murderer still has not been apprehended, yet life goes on.
Our small group met last night at the grave of this young girl. The polished marble tombstone is like none I've ever seen. There are so many symbols of her life on it. There's a chess piece, her picture, a Scripture from the gospels, an inscription about one of her nicknames. She loved to play softball and so when I arrived three of her teammates were there. Decorating the grave site were three signed softballs, two animal figurines--a turtle and a raccoon, and several flower arrangements. As you look south from the grave there is a beautiful view of the Nebraska rolling hills.
After several contemplative moments, we prayed together, hand in hand, asking for peace and healing. We then proceeded over to her mother's house where we were treated to her testimony. If your child had been murdered and the murderer still loose, what would your reaction be? Frustration? Anger? Joy? What? Did I just say joy? That's what we heard last night. Her mother told us of mistakes in her life. She told us of her selfish ways giving in to God's will. She told us of change in her life, and I have to tell you, I believe it. Because I have seen it. Next month I have been in Omaha for three years. The person I saw giving her testimony in her apartment last night was not the same person whom I met three years ago. I watched on television as the reporter asked about any bitterness. She said, there's just no reason to go there. Wow!
God has taken a tremendous personal tragedy and made something good come out of it. Was the murder of Sarah God's will? Absolutely not! Any notion of this thought is beyond unreasonable. But God has acted and accomplished His will in this horrible circumstance. And so I read these words to the group gathered last night.

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, to that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. For just as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also throug Christ our comfort overflows. If we are distressed, it is for your comfort and salvation; if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which produces in you patient endurance of the same sufferings we suffer. And our hope for you is firm, because we know that just as you share in our sufferings, wo also you share in our comfort. II Corinthians 1:2-7

Have a great day...and count your blessings. JW

1 comment:

Karen said...

Wish we could have been there... I hope tonight's variety show is a success.