Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Worth Keeping

I'm getting quite a collection. Whenever I go somewhere, I'll try to buy something that reminds me of that trip; then I place it on my credenza. Others will bring me things from trips they have made and I'll place them there, too. Here is a short inventory:
1. A wooden hippo from Africa
2. A crystal eagle--a gift from a Hispanic friend
3. A bust of Abraham Lincoln
4. A piece of the Berlin Wall
5. A rock from the beaches of Normandy
6. A bronze rose given to me from the corner of my mother's casket
7. A wooden piece my grandfather carved
8. A model of the Eiffel Tower
9. A model of the Chicago Water Tower
10. A rock from Green Valley Bible Camp
11. An urn from the Dominican Republic
12. A bracelet given to me by a man I baptized in Russia
13. An rock elephant from Africa
14. A paperweight from a college club reunion

This isn't all. There are a number of other things from various trips and circumstances over the years. Bibles from relatives, pen sets, a variety of old items from my Mom and Dad's house, watches, etc. It doesn't take much for me to reminisce over these items. My mind goes quickly back to the places and circumstances these were given. But they're all objects. One day they will be gone. I imagine that most of these items mean nothing to anyone else but me. But, oh, do they mean a lot to me. But not as much as my friends. You see, you can never destroy my memories with them. You'll never be able to take any of that from me. That's what made Paul's life worthwhile. Read about his friends at the end of Colossians. See who was with him when he wrote the letter to the Romans. Read Romans 16. But his best friend was Jesus. "For me to live is Christ..." he would say. Keep those memories. Make friends who will help you get to heaven. Better yet, take them with you. Have a great day. JW

No comments: