Tuesday, June 27, 2006

The Lord is My Shepherd

I call the Holy Spirit the Holy Prompter. For the last several days, I have gotten into my car in the mornings and the song that came to my mind has been "The Lord's My Shepherd." Now why has that song come to mind? I don't know, but I don't think it's an accident. I do believe the Spirit has placed that song in my heart. Especially since I've heard so many songs the last several days. Why would that song come to mind in the mornings unless it had been placed there? Perhaps God is trying to get me to realize His control of all matters. He's in charge, He's sovereign. However:

The Lord's my Shepherd I'll not want,
He makes me down to lie
In pastures green He leadeth me.
In pastures green He lead me
The quiet waters by.

I haven't always been a fan of the Psalms. It's just been in the last several years that I have grown to love them. I don't like Peterson's "translation" from the Message of the Psalms. There are some things that retain their beauty without paraphrasing them. I really can't describe what I mean without an example. Can you imagine translating Robert Frost's Walking By Woods on a Snowy Evening like this?...I think the guy who owns this acreage lives in town. He won't care if I sit here and watch it snow. Rather, "Whose woods these are I think I know, his house is in the village though. He will not see me stopping here to watch his woods fill up with snow."
But back to my original point. Why is that psalm on my heart? I don't know. Any of you have a holy prompting? I prayed that God show me the heart of Jesus today. So far, nothing. But God is faithful. Have a great day. And maybe He'll show me why He's laid that song, that psalm on my heart. JW

No comments: