Monday, June 12, 2006

It's Good to be Home!

I sat in my office this morning sipping my chai and enjoying the 58 degree weather of Omaha, Nebraska. I couldn't help but think what a contrast it was from last Monday morning. I was given a map of the 9th ward of New Orleans with a large yellow square. In the middle of the yellow square was an orange square. "This is your area of prayer-walking," I was told. What I've seen and heard and smelled in the last week has been phenomenal. I was asked by my wife, "Do you feel as if you have made a difference or do you feel that you've just chipped off a small piece of a large rock of granite?" The answer is "yes."
I'm back to being comfortable again. My air conditioning works. My bed is soft. I have no threat of my house being bulldozed. I have no threat of robbery. And though I am comfortable here at my desk, there is a nagging, persistent feeling that I can do more. I can do more to show Jesus' love. I can do more to be His eyes, His feet, His Spirit. My thought today is if we can do Jesus In New Orleans (JINO) and drive over 1400 miles to serve, why can't we be Jesus in Omaha? It's right in our backyard. There are needs to be met here.
Over the next several days, I'll relate some of my stories. You will never hear some of the best stories. There were 21 other people who went with me. Half of them teenagers. Their lives were forever changed. We got them out of their comfort zone and into a realm that few of them have entered--that of doing something for someone other than themselves. And their lives have been permanently changed. I love to see their faces light up when they tell their stories. My son hasn't even told me all of his. But I know it has made a difference. Praise God. Because when we serve, we become more like Jesus and we indeed change. It's good to be home. Have a great day! JW

1 comment:

Karen said...

I'm looking forward to hearing your stories. Maybe Nate will tell some on his blog, too.

See you in a couple of months! Tickets are already bought.