Monday, August 14, 2006

Fines

We had a brief scare over the weekend. The high school where my son attends issues all of the students lap-top computers. Of course, we buy insurance for them, but two years ago when he was a freshman) he spilled Mountain Dew on his computer. So when school fired up a year ago, we had to pay a fine (substantial, I might add) for him to get his computer for his sophomore year.
You can imagine my chagrin this year when we received a call from his homeroom teacher saying he owed another fine. Once we checked into it, we found that it was exactly the same as last year's fine. The date was June, 2005. In other words, they didn't take off the fine from last year.
I visited with the personnel at the school and, of course, they would not admit to being wrong, but promised to call when they had the situation under control. "When did you pay the fine?" they queried.
"Last August."
"Where did you pay the fine?"
"Right here where I'm standing right now."
"How did you pay for it?"
"Check."
My argument was they wouldn't have given him his computer had he not paid the fine. Their argument--it shows on the computer you owe the money.
I must say, I have received a call clearing us of all charges. That's the way I felt...that we were being unduly accused of disturbing the peace of the Apple iBook in my son's possession. I never really received a "I sorry we messed up." But nevertheless, I was pleased.
Which brings me to my point today. Why do they call such penalties "fines"? I would call them awfuls or terribles or tragics. But fines? Maybe it came about from such situations as I have described ending in the person finally deciding to pay the bill and saying, "Fine!" If you have any insight, you may let me know. Have a great day! And say a prayer for all of those who are going back to school. JW

No comments: