Thursday, August 31, 2006

Sabbath

When my kids were younger, I thought it was my responsibility to take them on vacation and to see everything we could in a short period of time. So we would see Mickey, Goofy, Minnie, Donald, Snow White, and at least six of the dwarves in 2 days or less. We would "plan" the day as if we were preparing a major operation to get needed supplies to a third world country. We would come home exhausted and ready to get back to work in order to get some rest.
A few years ago, I bought a time share. Couldn't really afford it, but did it anyway. The first time we took advantage of the condo, we walked in, dropped our luggage, sat down and felt guilty for not having an agenda. We woke up early the first morning thinking we had an appointment to go to. After that, I remember sleeping in longer than I had since I was a teenager. Why was that? Because I was physically and mentally and emotionally exhausted. I had allowed myself to get caught up in the success syndrome the world threw at me.
Since that time I have worked at resting. Sometimes people see that as laziness. But I have found that one reason time flies by so quickly is that we have it so scheduled down to the minute that it can't help but do so.
Growing up I thought the Sabbath was Saturday. Jewish people worshiped on that day as did the 7th Day Adventists. But Saturday was a day to play.
I'm learning, however, to slow down a little bit. I'm not very good at it, yet. But God didn't intend for us to be in such a hurry. When you get a cup of chai or tea or (ugh) coffee and just sit, it's amazing what you'll see or smell. You feel the breeze on your cheek. You'll notice how blue the sky really is. You'll hear the birds chirping. And time will slow down.
Why am I writing on this now? I just got back from Mackinac Island where they have no cars. Yep. You either walk, ride a bike, or ride a horse-drawn carriage. Mike Cope wrote a blog about rest. I put on my iPod this morning and heard Amy Grant sing "Lay Down Your Burden." Then after that, Twila Paris sang, "God is in Control." The cool 60 degree weather and the blue sky reminded me anew that God is, indeed, in control and He wants me to slow down and realize it. And so should you. Have a great day. JW

2 comments:

Tracy said...

Those are great thoughts Jim. How important for us to rest. I think that is why I am sick right now...I stressed myself out to the point that my immune system FAILED. We are so obsessed with going and doing, that if we take time out we are seen as lazy. I think this is even more true in the life of a minister. Ministers are not super heroes, just regular human beings who need to rest!

One Observationist said...

Agreed. I walked out into my backyard last night and looked up at the stars. It made me realize how long it had been since I actually took a look up into the sky at 11pm. It sort of shocked me.

My wife and I love to watch birds. A few months ago we started a habit of walking in the local nature preserve for exercise. We walk and jog a little, but the cool thing is taking a little time out to enjoy nature.

The bird watching was more proof to me that God exists than most any other proof I’ve come into contact with. Absolutely amazing.