Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Between Intellect and Transcendence

I've never been accused of being intellectual. Philosophical discussions even make me dizzy. So yesterday, I was asked this question. "God can do anything? Right? Then can he make someone change their free will?" Really, that's the wrong question to ask. God can do a lot of things that He won't do. This got me thinking.

For instance, why pray? Why would the God of the universe who created all things listen to some of my silly requests? And there have been times where He has said "no" or just wasn't listening. At least that's my perspective at times. Why doesn't God heal certain people and allow others to die? Why was I born in the United States to godly, Christian parents?

Then I realize that I am a human being. God is God. I liked Mike Cope's blog today where he has the quote, "The biggest difference between you and God is that God doesn't think he's you." (Anne Lamott). So when reason fails me, I start to think that God is beyond me. His ways are higher than my ways. His thoughts higher than my thoughts. And so I get stuck between intellect and transcendence. When it gets far beyond my intellectual capabilities, I cede back to the fact that God is who He says He is. I read Job 38-41. Then I rely on something called "faith." Being sure of things hoped for and confident of the unseen. I'm sorry, that's where I always land. . .at least that's my answer. I trust in One who is greater than I and realize there are some things I just don't understand. Perhaps one day I will. I hope you have a great day. JW

No comments: