Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Words Mean Something

We had our first Letters from Dad meeting the other night and we had a good turn-out. Having had a wonderful father (certainly not perfect, and sometimes stubborn and downright conservative!), who loved me in spite of my imperfections, I sometimes have a hard time identifying with someone whose father was less than what they should have been.
In our discussions, the emotions came to the surface quickly with some of the men. Some (Really, all) want to be better fathers. Others told stories of how difficult it was for their fathers to simply tell them "I love you." It helped me to realize that words mean something. The words we so flippantly say to our children can cut to the quick. They remember them for years. It was a lesson to me to measure my words carefully and to make sure that I tell my children how valuable they are, what a blessing they are to me, and how much I love them. I used to take Nate to school and the last thing we did was the rock (hand bumps) and we say, "Jesus is Lord." He told me the other day that he missed that. We don't get to do that often enough. A little thing I thought was trivial was special to my son. Fathers, be careful what you say and realize that everything you say, no matter how trivial you think it might be, makes an impression on your children...and of course eventually to their children.

He will turn the hearts of the fathers to their children, and the hearts of the children to their fathers...." Malachi 4:6

Have a great day. JW

No comments: