Thursday, January 11, 2007

Prayer On a Different Level

I can be pretty dense. Now wait a minute, I just heard a resounding "AMEN!" from those of you who know me out there. I have done studies on prayer, taught classes on prayer, read books on prayer, but it wasn't until this morning I understood something about prayer. There are all kinds of passages talking about different kinds of prayer, i.e.

And pray in the Spirt on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests.. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints. Ephesians 6:18

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. Philippians 4:6

I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone--for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. I Timothy 2:1, 2

There are all kinds of prayers mentioned and I have done the word studies because they all mean something different. Intellectually I understood, but my heart wasn't in tune. Today, I was praying earnestly. It was different that my morning prayer of greeting and thankfulness for the new day and the beauty that surrounded me. It was a heart felt prayer asking God for blessings in a certain situation. Then it hit me.

There are conversational prayers that I have with God. Prayers of relationship. I don't want to make light of it, but it's the same with any relationship. It can be surface level. You just keep the channels of communication flowing. Nothing deep. Just making sure the water is still flowing. But there comes a time when there is a gut-wrenching, heart cry of need to the only One who can do anything about it. A little girl (and little girls aren't supposed to have to be tested for multiple sclerosis) who lies in a hospital, a dear friend who is going on a mission trip, a marriage that is getting worse. Not that my other prayers don't mean anything, but these prayers mean something.

The light bulb went off. And I finally got it. There are different kinds of prayers. There is a difference in intensity in prayers. Don't believe me? Check Jesus out in the Garden of Gethsemane. Why didn't I see it before? I don't know, I'm still learning. Hope you are, too. Have a great day. JW

No comments: