Thursday, January 25, 2007

Footprints

There is a little story that's been overused (IMHO) called "Footprints." Good stories tend to be overused. Kind of like the guy throwing starfish back into the ocean. You get my drift (pardon the pun).
But since we had an influx of snow last Saturday, I've noticed footprints in the snow around our house. Most of the time, they tell a little story. It's fun trying to figure them out. (I know, it sounds as if I've lost my marbles, but hang in there with me.) First you can see where the squirrels have been digging. Hungry, they're trying to reach the stash the buried in the ground in the fall. You can see the steps leading up to the spot where they have dug. I wonder if they found what they were looking for.
Then I noticed a rabbit track. It was steady, straight, committed, almost as if someone had made them in a straight line on purpose. It looked as if this creature was on a mission.
Finally, there were some human footprints that led up to our house. From there, they crossed our yard into our neighbors. Who did this and what was he after?
In all of our lives, we leave some kind of indication that we've been around. Footprints, so to speak. What kind of impression will you leave. Will there be indication of hard work? An impression of purpose or commitment? Or will people wonder what you were up to? It's up to you. Have a great day. JW

No comments: