Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Happy Mother's Day II

I didn't write about Mother's Day. I did preach about Moms. As I was sitting here thinking of my own sweet mother, I thought about how much I miss her. There is sadness that I don't get to see her, hug her, and kiss her. I wish I could hear her voice again. But when it all comes down to it, I am so happy for her. She is where she wants to be, where she prepared all her life to be. So, this Mother's Day, I celebrate with my wife who is the mother of my children and long for the time of the reunion of all of those I love.
So, I'll put here the poem written by my brother Charles. There are four boys in our family. Charles is #2. He was born on Mother's Day, May 12, 1945. He wrote this poem on Mother's Day, May 12, 1989.

This day, those many years ago,
This day, I did not watch you go
Alone into the vale of death,
Alone, to breathe the dark wind's breath.

But I was there, and from the night
Your struggles brought me to light.
Your pain and tears afforded me
To taste the gift of life: to be.

You'd walked that lonely path before,
Your were to tread it two times more;
Four times into the night you went,
And reappeared, your spirit spent.

Four times a son you brought to day;
Each time you gave yourself away.
Each time you set your brick to ground,
To build the wall, to make it sound.

The "heaven-sent" that 12th of May
Was you, whose heart was filled with day;
And from your heart I've learned to live,
To sing, to pray, to laugh, to give.

The son who writes these words tonight
Remembers you with sweet delight,
And whispers in his mother's ear:
" I LOVE YOU MOM, MY MOTHER DEAR!"

Happy Mother's Day (a little belated) Have a great day. JW

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jim, how very touching! I know that you miss your Mother for she means so much to you....what an incredible impact she has on your life and I appreciate you sharing that with the rest of us. God bless you my good friend.